- 1. The Year of the Tides
- Each class constructs a giant, year long tide calendar and looks for patterns in the tides.
- 2. Using the 24 Hour Clock
- This lesson provides practice reading the 24 hour clock and adding and subtracting 24 hour clock times.
- 3. Types of Tides
- Students read about and graph diurnal, semidiurnal and mixed tides.
- 4. Oceans in Motion: The Tides
- This reading provides explanations of some of the causes of the tides.
- 5. Barnacles: Still Hanging On
- This three part lab, the first in a series of lessons about intertidal, rocky shore animals, explores barnacles’ responses to temperature changes, their feeding behaviors and their life cycle stages.
- 6. Snails, limpets and chitons: Moving On
- Students closely observe the movement of these mobile intertidal animals.
- 7. Sponges
- Students take progressively more focused looks at sponge looking first at the whole animal, then at its body surface, and then at the composition of its body walls.
- 8. One From Many
- This lab duplicates a classic experiment in which sponge cells are separated and their reaggregation observed.
- 9. Who’s Living Here?
- Students dissect a sponge and count and identify the commensal organisms in the animal.
- 10. Wharf Rat – Intertidal Zonation
- This field activity examines patterns and causes of zonation of intertidal marine organisms.
- 11. The Ecological Niche
- Each student researches and describes the ecological niche of a selected marine organism.
- 12. Create a Rocky Shore
- Student teams create a rocky shore scene, placing animals in their correct zones and adding interpretive notes.
- 13. The Black Tide
- Students test a variety of materials to determine the best methods for cleaning up oil spills so they won’t harm the rocky shore.
- 14. Tanker Spill
- Students model an oil spill by dispersing popcorn. They then track the spread of the spill and analyze how wind and water conditions affect the severity of a spill.
Below, you’ll find helpful resources for use with the above activities.
- Unit III: Resources
- Activity 3 Types of Tides
- Understanding Tides part a
- Understanding Tides part b
- Activity 13 The Black Tide
- Offshore drilling platform
- Oil Platform derrick
- Drill string
- Lessons of Valdez
- What happened on March 24, 1989
- Rocky Beaches Unit Final: Creation of Piling Exhibit
“” Icon made by Pixel perfect from www.flaticon.com