Who to call…

Where to Go for Help
… Resources for Taking the Next Steps

While you can directly act on most of the suggestions offered in this guide, you may wish additional information or more detailed advice. The following resources are designed to help you get the assistance you need. Armed with these resources and the information contained in the SoundBook, you will be prepared to help preserve and enhance the Puget Sound and its watershed. Take the plunge, you’ll be glad you did!

It’s Your Sound
Puget Sound Partnership
• See the Action Agenda for Puget Sound and find the most recent “State of the Sound” report.
Department of Ecology
• Everyone can play a part in keeping Puget Sound clean and healthy, here you will find educational resources to find out what you can do to help restore and protect our inland ocean.
Puget Sound Starts Here
• Puget Sound facts and actions you can take to improve the health of Puget Sound.

Hazardous Wastes
• Find out where to dispose of hazardous waste in your county using the Department of Ecology Household Hazardous Waste Hotline 1-800-RECYCLE or their online tool.

Rethink, Reuse
• Washington Department of Ecology 1-800-RECYCLE is both a hotline and an online tool that connects you or your business to recycling services across Washington. This tool can help you find where in your community you can recycle everything from used appliances to leftover paint.

Water Uses/Abuses
Washington State Department of Ecology
• Learn what you can do to use water wisely.
The American Ground Water Trust
• Listen to recorded information and leave requests for information about groundwater quality, protection, and water wells by calling 1-800-423-7748

Waste Water
• Concerns or questions about your septic system? Contact your local health department or Washington Department of Health – Septic Systems
• For an overview of septic systems see: Understanding and Caring for Your Septic System (PDF)
• Do your part for your neighborhood by using this simple guide to see how you can help prevent stormwater pollution and keep Puget Sound clean: We All Live Downstream – A Guide to Urban Stormwater Issues and Solutions (PDF).

Landscape Considerations
Washington Native Plant Society
WSU Cooperative Extension education centers located in each county
Seattle Tilth Alliance

Plant Choice
Thurston County Noxious Weed Control
• (Plant Materials for Landscaping: A List of Plants for the Pacific Northwest (PDF))
• (Plant List a common sense guide (PDF))

• Find your County’s WSU Master Gardener Program and learn how to protect water quality and make your garden grow.
• For more information about gardening around the Sound, contact WSU/King County Cooperative Extension at 206-543-0943 or via email at king.mg@wsu.edu

Seattle Tilth Alliance can get you started with home composting information and plans.

Sound Lawn Care
Lawn Care Basics (PDF)
Home Lawns (PDF)
Lawn Weed Control (PDF)
• Ready to think differently? Integrated Pest Management, the most cost effective approach to managing insect pests, provides long-term natural pest control.

Erosion Control
• Learn more about Adopt A Stream and Northwest Stream Center programs which can help coordinate your waterside activities.
Washington Natural Resources Conservation Service Washington.

Sewage: Washington State Parks Boater Environmental Education Program
• Oil: Department of Ecology Hotline 1-800-RECYCLE
• Report a spill you see to Department of Ecology Spill Hotline 1-800-OILS-911
• If you spill – Report the spill immediately to BOTH:
• 1-800-258-5990 (Washington Emergency Management Division)
• 1-800-424-8802 (National Response Center)
There are no penalties for reporting a spill unnecessarily, but there may be significant penalties for not reporting one.

Washington Department of Ecology

Environmental Emergencies
• Oil or Hazardous Materials Spills: Report a spill you see to Department of Ecology Spill Hotline 1-800-OILS-911
• National Response Center 1-800-424-8802
• Washington Department of Ecology 1-800-258-5990
• Marine Mammal Strandings: 360-678-3765 or email: Orca Network

Washington Sea Grant Marine Advisory Services (206) 543-6600
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
• For general questions about environmental protection in Puget Sound, call 1-800-424-4372 or email EPA-Seattle@epa.gov to have your question or comment directed to the right staff person.
WSU Cooperative Extension education centers located in each county.
Hood Canal Coordinating Council (360) 394-0045

Meet Your Puget Sound Neighbors